Tathra

The Tathra area was first settled by European colonists around 1820, outside the Nineteen Counties, the limits of legal settlement at the time. Around 1860 local businessmen funded construction of a wharf (turpentine pilings in solid rock) on Tathra Head and regular shipping commenced. The wharf is the last remaining coastal steamer wharf in NSW and is now a popular fishing and diving spot, with cafes and restaurants open in the summer.