St Albans is a small and historic village on the Macdonald River, New South Wales, about 94 kilometres north west of Sydney. At the 2006 census, St Albans had a population of just 72 people. The "Village of Macdonald" was surveyed in 1837 but renamed St Albans on 26 January 1841 after the City of St Albans in Hertfordshire, England, north of London. In the early part of the colonial settlement of New South Wales, the Macdonald Valley was an important agricultural area because of its accessibility by water. However, with the development of railways and extensive agricultural development west of the Great Dividing Range, the Macdonald Valley became less important and declined to become a remote backwater. The valley is often called, the "Forgotten Valley", by the locals.